Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard



I have been harvesting lots of hot peppers! They are actually not for me so much, but my husband loves everything super hot. Since we can't possibly consume so much of them at once, we either dry them or freeze them. But here are some of the things I've made using those peppers.

Golden Habanero Pepper Jelly



We planted only one Habanero plant solely for the purpose of making this jelly. Oh so yummy!!! We only need 4-5 peppers for one batch of jelly, but the plant decided to explode and has been giving us way more than we know what to do with. I've given away a bunch to people. It is still flowering and trying to produce more.



Homemade Sriracha Sauce


I was so excited to see this post at "Our Happy Acres" where Dave kindly shared his recipe for the homemade sriracha sauce. My husband puts sriracha on pretty much everything, so he was very happy to find out that I was making him a batch of homemade sriracha sauce. My version doesn't look right, only because I made it with Bulgarian carrot chile hot peppers (which is one of my husband's favorite hot peppers), but it tastes really awesome! I will be making the red version once all the cayennes turn red.



Jalapeno & Cheddar Cheese bread


I do a lot of baking. Most of the breads that we eat are homemade. Since we have lots of Jalapenos, I decided to whip up some Sourdough breads with Jalapeno and Cheddar cheese. Then my husband suggested that I make hamburger buns with Jalapeno and cheddar. It was indeed a great idea!


We had black bean burgers with chipotle mayo on these buns for dinner one night. It was really yummy. We are not usually excited about vegetarian dishes, but these black bean burgers are very satisfying.



I'm linking up to the host of Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard. Go see what is happening in everyone's kitchen!

8 comments:

  1. Love reading about all the things others do with hot peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wilderness! I've gotten some great ideas from other bloggers about what to do with the hot peppers!

      Delete
  2. Do you make your black bean burgers? I really need to find a recipe for burgers made from beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I pretty much follow this recipe except that I use regular rolled oats (instead of quick cooking), and I don't bother freezing the patties beforehand. I do rest the patty mix for a few hours before shaping them into patties, so that the oats can soak up some moisture. My meat-holic husband even eats this:)

      http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/spicy-black-bean-burgers-with-chipotle.html

      Delete
    2. Sadly every recipe has some sort of peppers in it. I'll have to modify it to remove them. It is so hard to remove hot sauce though as it add a certain something.

      Delete
    3. I forgot you cannot eat peppers... that is a big challenge! I think the burgers will still be good without the peppers. I sometimes put lots of chopped onions instead of scallions. I wish I had an answer for the hot sauce...

      Delete
  3. Boy, you have been busy with the peppers! Everything looks wonderful! I made habanero powder last year for my sister in-law.

    Thanks for sharing such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The habanero powder is so potent that my husband is the only one that uses it. But I do love the pepper jelly. We still have some powder from 2 years back when we had a community garden plot... that's why I only planted one plant. But it seems like we can never get rid of them!

      Delete