Monday, September 3, 2012

Harvest Monday

My garden has slowed down quite a bit. I have been busy taking down the dead and diseased plants, cleaning the beds, preparing for the fall garden.

Here is a handful of harvest in the last few days:



The celery is SO SLOW - I think they have been this size for like 2 months.... The stalks are so thin that I can't really give a good wash inside each stalk. I pulled these two out because they were showing some kind of infestation, where the middle is brown and mushy, and no more new growth is detected. Like this...


My only zucchini plant is still alive.... it is pretty amazing, because I was most fearful of those SVBs this season. I tried to cover the plant with a floating row cove until the flowers started appearing. Then, I kept covering up the main stalk with foil and more row cover. It definitely got the mildew damage, but I keep ripping the infected leaves.

The hot peppers are finally turning color. I'm not really a big hot pepper person, but I do love hot pepper jelly! The sweet peppers have yet to show a little red or yellow blush on them... I have been eating them green this whole time.

The wax beans are still producing. The yellow ones have been producing for almost 2 months now. That's crazy. The second seedling of haricot verts have been wonderful. They are really tasty.

It's been cool enough for the radishes.
And for the fall peas. They have been attacked by caterpillars.... but we'll see how they hold up. Those caterpillars are eating away my brassica seedlings too.

I have so much to learn....

I'm linking up to the host of Harvest Monday.


8 comments:

  1. oh poor celery. Not sure I"m going to grow it again, but I still have some seed so I just might. LOvely harvest. Wishing it was cool enough for radishes and peas here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my first attempt growing celery from seed, so I've got a lot to learn. It's pretty hot during the day still, but the radishes and peas seem OKAY so far.

      Delete
  2. You have better results with celery than I have - mine got eaten by groundhog. And my peas just got razed down by a bunny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your enemies!! They are so annoying, aren't they? I had a problem with groundhogs earlier, too. And my husband decided to put an end to it by installing chicken wires all around the fence. They never bothered since... but the deer season is just around the corner...

      Delete
    2. We have a 6 foot fence all around with chicken wire, but I made a mistake of planting celery outside of it thinking that it's smelly and will keep animals away. big mistake. Bunny is tiny and he found his way inside through the wire and we can't seem to catch him :)

      Delete
    3. Wow, I am shocked! Those animals are hungry! We initially had 4 foot fence with regular plastic fencing materials. They are so fragile, and there were holes everywhere in no time. The chicken wire (2ft wide) we installed all around later was folded in half and we created this "L" shaped barrier at the bottom of the original fence. The animals seem to be having a hard time digging in. The bunnies are tricky though... my dog catches them before they have a chance to feast on the veggies.

      Delete
  3. I have been struggling with leaf rollers on my beans. I am sorry about the bugs on your peas. Sounds like you were able to fight off the SVB's this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was crazy for not planting more summer squash plants, but it seemed to work out okay. The down side is that every other pest problems was in full force while I was so concerned about the SVBs! Yes, I have those leaf rollers everywhere too! So much to learn...

      Delete