Monday, September 10, 2012

Harvest Monday

The beans are coming to an end - they have produced way more than I ever expected. I am so happy with them.

The fall peas were very quick to grow and flower, but they are suffering from all sorts of pest problems. I think half of them are already dying. Even the ones that produced are disappointing - only yielding one or two peas per pod... Maybe I need to fertilize more.

I have lots of hot peppers coming. More than I know what to do with. They are mostly for my husband. He will figure out what to do with them, as they are quickly turning red or yellow.

I planted about 10 winter squash plants - mixed variety - and they got attacked by bugs early on. Each plant tried to put on at least one fruit before they started to wilt. I managed to harvest 3 buttenuts and 1 spaghetti (probably not matured enough, but the plant is completely dead) today, and there are 2 more spaghetti squashes and 2 tiny Kabocha squashes left on the vines. I doubt they will get any bigger, so I might as well harvest them at this point.

Again, there is so much to learn and I will definitely be planting a LOT more squash plants EARLIER next
year.

And here is a little accidental surprise! As I was weeding, I accidentally pulled one of the peanut plants. Well, I know they are not ready to be pulled yet, but I'm glad to see the progress under ground. We'll be eating a handful of fresh roasted peanuts  as a snack tonight and see how they taste. 



Linking up to the host of Harvest Monday, where people share their harvests from their gardens!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, garden-grown peanuts, what a nice surprise! Don't think we can grow those here in Maine, but it's tempting to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be difficult to grow peanuts in PA! But I tried it anyway. Most of the things I'm growing are the first for me anyway. But I'm pleasantly surprised with the result! I think we got lucky with the unusually warm Spring this year. They are really yummy!

      Delete
  2. I think your garden has done very well. My squash were all planted late and did well. You just never know. Those peanuts will definitely be a nice treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin! You're right! We just never know - I guess that's what makes gardening more fun! The peanuts were a little too early but very yummy!

      Delete
  3. Very nice harvest! Insects can really do a number on squash, that's for sure! Makes them really tricky to grow sometimes. Nice peanuts! We tried them many years ago and I think they were successful, but my memory of it is fuzzy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, nutmeg! I actually was afraid of the SVBs more than anything. But I didn't see them at all. But my squash, melon, and cucumber plants were covered in cucumber beetles. I am guessing they are responsible for the wilt. The peanuts need a LONG growing time, so I didn't really expect too much, but they are one of the healthiest plants in my garden.

      Delete
  4. Your harvest looks very nice, I didn't get too many winter squashes either considering amount of plants that were planted. Bugs really did a number on all of them. For your peas you don't need to fertilize them - they produce their own nitrogen. They can be stunted if they don't have enough water, if it's too warm (above 80) or too much fertilizer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice, Jenny! That makes sense - it was above 80 during the day last week. Hopefully this sudden drop of temperature this week will help them recover a bit.

      Delete
  5. Great looking peanuts! Keep watering your peas; if you can keep them alive until the weather cools they will probably make more. I usually plant mine in Oct/Nov for harvest April through May. They love cool weather.

    PS I hate your word verification, this is the fourth try to comment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice! I'll make sure to water the peas. It's been much cooler this week, but it's also been very dry. I hope they will survive!

      I didn't even know I had the word verification! I hate it, too!! I just modified my setting, so it should be gone from now on:)

      Delete