Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard

We had one unexpected guest and one expected guest over the weekend. That certainly changed a few things with my dinner plans. Also, it was my husband's birthday earlier this week, so I got some take out sushi - one of his favorite things - instead of making the good old boring Tuna Casserole that I had originally planned for that day.

I tried to stick to the rest in my weekly menu plan. There was the Calzones (no pic) with ham and cheese, because I had one more jar of unsealed tomato sauce in the fridge that I needed to use up.

Then we had sweet and sour meatballs with garden veggies (peppers, zucchini, carrots, beans,) and brown rice. Very yummy! Those beans were really nice and crunchy.



In the midst of meal planning, I have been having a canning festival in my kitchen. The other day, I canned 5 quarts of tomato juice and 12 half-pints of ketchup. The whole house smelled like ketchup for 2 days. Boy, that took a long time to reduce down to the right consistency.



Now sitting and staring at me in the kitchen are another bushel of tomatoes. My local farmer that I get these from must think I'm crazy. I still need several more jars of tomato sauce and some cocktail sauce.

I will be happy when this canning phase is done, and will be even more happy to find those jars in the basement during winter. :)

Last night, I picked some squash blossoms. I will be stuffing these with cheese, batter them lightly, and fry them up for dinner tonight!



Linking up to the host of Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard - see what everyone is cooking up in their kitchens!

5 comments:

  1. Ketchup really takes a long time to cook down. I can smell it now...yum! Hopefully I will get around to making our ketchup this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really does. I thought it will never thick enough. I hope you'll get yours made this week! The cool nights have definitely helped with all the canning.

      Delete
  2. To me, the ketchup is worth the wait! And our house is always smelling like something good these days. Those fried squash blossoms sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, I was actually inspired by you to make the ketchup! You are right. It is worth all the wait! The fried squash blossoms are one of my favorite things. My husband likes the blossoms better than the squashes...:)

      Delete