Monday, August 6, 2012

Harvest Monday

Things are coming!


Tomatoes - Despite the wilt problems, our tomato plants keep fighting and trying to produce. Not enough to can, but plenty for daily uses.

Peppers - Both hot and sweet peppers are doing very well! I am waiting for the bells to turn red, but no sign. The Anaheims are our favorite. We roast them over wood fire and make green chile sauce every year. Since they don't ripen at the same time, we roast them, peel them and freeze them until we have enough to make a big batch.

Zucchini - Only one plant - still standing tall and healthy. It is producing one every 3-4 days - perfect amount.

Beans - The Haricot verts have started! They are not as prolific as the yellow waxes, but they are delicious!


Cucumbers - We had 10 plants of mix variety, and most of them produced some and quickly wilted. I have 3 plants left - half dead, but still trying to produce a little. But this Japanese cuke might be the last one before I finally pull out the plant. My second seedlings are getting bigger fast, so maybe we'll have another crop of cucumbers before the fall.

Hard beans - I planted pinto, black coco, and canellini beans. They are ripening at different times. And because of so much rain we've been having lately, some beans are sprouting in pods!  So I have been removing semi-dry pods here and there. As soon as I removed those old pods, the near dead plants decided to flower again! We'll see if I get a second crop out these.


Water melon - First time growing melons! I think I waited long enough to pick it... it's "Sangria" and weighed about 6lb. Very exciting, but the taste was just OKAY... I have 2 more, but I think I am going to give them some more time.


I'm linking to the host of "Harvest Monday" where gardeners all over the world share their yummy harvests!



10 comments:

  1. I grew haricot verts this year and they turned out to be far more productive than I anticipated, hope yours are too. Too bad about the watermelon, all that waiting and then it's not quite right. I read somewhere that a watermelon is ripe when the white patch on the side that sits on the ground turns creamy yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the haricot certs will grow a little bigger once I pull out my yellow beans which are blocking the sun right now. Thanks for the tip about the watermelon! I will have to go check the color of the bottoms of the ones in the garden!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful harvest! We did not have good luck with tasty watermelon. They grew fine, but were only ever "okay" in flavor. Hope your next melons are better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! Sorry to hear about your "okay" melons also! They are such a big mystery... I think I'm going to wait till the vines are totally shriveled to pick the other 2 melons.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on a great harvest!! I hope your next watermelon is more flavorful. I haven't had luck with melons in Oregon...too short a summer but that never stops me. I have a pathetic watermelon and melon plant outside as we speak. =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! Oregon weather... yes, that is indeed a big difference! I bet you can invest in some kind of plastic cover to keep the heat in.

      Delete
  4. Great harvest. Oh my, watermelon! How awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, even though it was just an okay tasting watermelon, harvesting something so heavy (and no squirrel or goundhog bites!) and pretty is still very exciting!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely harvest! I will have to try the green chile sauce. I am growing anaheim for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the green chile sauce is oh so good, and it's good on everything from eggs to chicken to fish etc. I'll post the recipe when we make a batch later in the season.

      Delete