Monday, October 15, 2012

Harvest Monday

So we also had our first frost here Saturday morning, but it got up to 70F during the day on Sunday. Crazy!

The beans and peppers are finished. The hot peppers are still hanging on the plants outside, hoping they will turn red or yellow. Maybe it's not going to happen anymore... I am not sure. My husband keeps telling me to pick them and put them in a brown bag - just like you would with green tomatoes. But I somehow I doubt it would work with the peppers.

I've picked all of the remaining sweet peppers before they had a chance to turn color. I will have a lot of peppers in the freezer for the winter. That is a good thing. It has really been a great pepper year!






Before the frost I had to pull up all the peanut plants, even thought they were not all completely matured. I got something like 3lb, but that will drop when I finish drying them.





I have been very behind on the fall garden planning and planting. Here is my tiny spinach, cabbage, and carrots that I don't think will have enough time to mature before the ground freezes.






These should have all been planted where the hoop house is going to go.... We started putting up the hoop house this weekend, and I realized that a lot of the things in the hoop house are already matured, like these carrots.
I am not sure whether I should just pull them up and plant something else, or keep them in the hoop house for winter harvest.






There are a lot of empty spaces in the hoop house that need some attention. I direct sowed lots of seeds almost a month ago, but they didn't germinate very well. I think I only have 1-2 each of lettuce and asian greens.
I did start germinating seeds indoors, but they are too leggy. Trying to save energy and didn't use the light fixture... big mistake! I don't know if I have enough time now to start another flat of seeds and transplant them in the hoop house. It all depends on the weather, I suppose.

Lastly, I've covered up my cauliflower and broccoli bed with plastic. They are overly crowded. I might take some of the smaller plants and move them into the hoop house. Just like the cabbages that are not covered, I'm not sure if they will have enough time to mature, but everything is an experiment for me this year.


So I have panted some things in wrong places at wrong times, but I'll know better next time.

In the meantime, I finished planting garlic, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries.

I'm linking up to the host of Harvest Monday, where the gardeners all over the world share their harvests and gardening techniques!




2 comments:

  1. Wow, lot of work in the garden going on. Your spinach looks fine and I'm sure you can leave the carrots in the ground. The colder weather is supposed yo make them sweeter. Nice haul of peppers, mine were an almost total failure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we learn new things every year! I've been planting but something's eating things, who knows what it is; or it gets hot and dry and things don't sprout well; my day job is a garden killer for sure!

    ReplyDelete