Monday, July 30, 2012

Harvest Monday


This is my first post for Harvest Monday, which is hosted by Daphne's Dandelions at http://daphnesdandelions.blogspot.com/2012/07/harvest-monday-july-30th-2012.html#comment-form

Tomatoes: 2lb 7oz - We planted about 40 tomato plants hoping they will give us some a plenty for eating and canning. But unfortunately, they have been struggling due to what we believe is Fusarium or Verticillium wilt. They are not completely dead, but not performing well either, so I had to put some of them out of misery this weekend. Thus, the green tomatoes that I picked that were left on those poor plants.

Carrots: 1lb - After complaining about them a few days ago, I realize I probably should be happy. Today, I pulled out some nice straight carrots. I probably have about 1-2lb left in the bed, hoping they will grow a little more. I also sowed some seeds for the fall crop.

Yellow wax beans: 4oz - They have been very good to us and providing consistent harvest for several weeks. I think they are just starting to get tired. But my haricot vert plants are now in full bloom. I think we'll start harvesting these by next week.

Zucchini: half rotten one.... We have one zucchini plant, that has been producing just the right amount for 2 of us. This one probably didn't get pollinated properly.

Broccoli side shoots: 2oz - I have 6 broccoli plants that keep on giving. The heads were cut off 2-3 weeks ago.


8 comments:

  1. We planted about that many tomato plants as well this year, for the same reason. We are just starting to see some ripe tomatoes, but I see a lot of blossom drop. So frustrating when they are problematic! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yes, it is VERY frustrating, but I guess you can fight nature. I will be buying some cheap 2nd tomatoes from a local farmer for canning...

      Delete
  2. Last year I planted 23 plants and had only a few handfuls of tomatoes. Really disappointing. This year I backed down to 4 plants and had a better result, seriously more tomatoes than from all those plants! I will probably just do fall tomatoes from now on. It's hard to get them ready before it gets too hot for them in my neck of the woods (Mobile, Alabama).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally hear you. We planted tomatoes in containers last year and we had more tomatoes then! It is pretty crazy. We won't be able to do fall tomatoes here, so I'm jealous!

      Delete
  3. I am having the same trouble with my tomato plants! I also have around 40 plants growing,but they are looking terrible and I really don't know how much we will get to can.Your wax beans look great, something I will have to try next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just the biggest disappointment, isn't it? I still have hopes for the remaining 15 plants of so, but will see... I'm thinking I'll have to stick with the disease resistant kinds only next year. On the other hand, the beans are thriving and they've been the easiest thing to grow.

      Delete
  4. I lost a lot of tomatoes to what is probably verticillium wilt early in the season, just as they were getting ready to bloom. The rest are fine tho. But I think next year I will plant a lot more tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know so many other people are dealing with a similar problem. I also plan on planting a LOT more tomatoes next year, and also do a better soil prep.

      Delete