Friday, July 27, 2012

Celery


Another challenge I have is celery! Actually, I had this impression that growing celery was going to be a big challenge in terms of germinating them and letting them to grow to a decent size. They were in fact very slow to germinate and to get to a decent size to be transplanted. But since transplanted, my celery plants look pretty nice and healthy. Earlier in the season, I had some aphid problems that killed a couple of plants, but the rest 12 or so plants have survived and been doing well. They are just match-stick thin, though!! I can't figure out how to fatten them up. I have been taking the outer layers off for my daily uses.

2 comments:

  1. Celery does take forever to grow. Your celery looks really good. Just let it grow and the stalks will get bigger.

    I lost a few plants this past week at the plots. I have no idea what happened to them. Some of the other plants I pulled since they weren't looking all that good. I cut most of it up and froe it for use over the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry you lost your plants! Every plant is so different and requires different things... I am definitely learning a lot this year! I think I will give them a little more time. It will be nice to have some in the freezer for the winter!

      Delete